With each bite, each sip, what you’re eating is the biggest diet mistake you make on vacation. Fortunately, it’s one of the easiest to address and you can still have as much fun as you banked on!
Here are some basic tips to keep in mind:
1. Fast Food does not mean Fried Food: Look out for grilled options that are just as delicious, if not more, than their fried counterparts. Select fatty fish such as salmon, grilled meats, fresh salads, broth-based soups and wraps or sandwiches, without sauces, as your entrees. Proteins are your best option!
2. Avoid High-Fat Add-Ons: Sauces and gravies can contain large amounts of oil or butter, as do add-ons such as bacon bits, so go easy on them.
3. Mind the Portions: Resist the urge to eat everything on your plate; share large portions instead.
4. Make the Most of your Deal: Fill up on healthy foods at the breakfast or lunch buffet, especially if you are staying at a resort. You can pack and keep snacks handy when out and about as well so you don’t end up skipping meals.
5. Drink Water: Choose water over alcoholic, sweetened or carbonated drinks. Water before a meal will also help feel fuller sooner.
6. Avoid “Whites”, Opt for the “Colour”: Coloured foods have more nutrition than white/cream foods, so concentrate on eating the colourful bits.
7. Make Substitutions: Request for healthy substitutions if you don’t want to miss out on certain flavours. Eg: Yoghurt is an excellent substitute for cream.
8. Plan Ahead:
a. Choose sit-down restaurants instead of fast food establishments during your travels.
b. Seek out local restaurants that use local products.
c. Find a supermarket or farmer’s market as soon as you reach your destination and stock up on healthy snacks.
9. Walking is your Secret Weapon: Walk everywhere, as much as possible!
10. A Treat a Day: It’s only fair that you treat yourself once a day while on holiday, but choose your splurges wisely!
11. Take your own snacks: Kids love familiar foods! Take a prepared travel snack pack/box that you can dip into whenever a snack attack comes on.
Keep snack size baked potato or tortilla chips or fruit handy. If you've got a thing for sweets, opt for ones with natural ingredients like a single-serve ice cream cup (vanilla, strawberry, and coffee are lowest in calories) or a dry fruit health bar. Happy Belly’s oil free Crackling Potato Mix and Muscle Hustle health bars or Dreamboats healthy chocolates are just the thing! Click here to get your travel box packed now!
The key is to fill up on healthy foods when you can and make smart dining choices. By planning ahead and knowing your options, you can take a break from your stressful routine but not from your healthy eating.
So whether you find yourself taking a road trip, killing time between flights, or enjoying a movie, you can eat light with smart, healthy bites!